The M.V.Cygnet was purpose built in 1913, as the original Cream Boat of the Mokau River.
In the early 20th Century, the Mokau River punt was the only way that traffic could cross the wide river. Everything was ferried across on the punt from cars and trucks to livestock.
In 1854 the government purchased Māori land around Awakino but this was only made available for settlement in 1893.
Built in 1916, the Mt Messenger tunnel helped improve this notorious road in North Taranaki.